Health and Wellbeing
Our libraries and reading cafes support the health and wellbeing of people and their communities in York.
- Welcoming spaces where people can find warmth, somewhere to pause , and a friendly face.
- Resources and information to help people to manage and understand their own health and signpost them to partner organisations.
- Books to support healthy living and managing health conditions
- Reading Well, see below
- Recommended Websites
- Reading regularly has many benefits including reducing stress and feelings of anxiety, lowering heart rate, improving memory and offering respite from everyday life.
- Browse our library catalogue , our E-library , or our Libby app to find your next great read.
- Creative and social activities which enable people to meet others, discover different interests and engage in new experiences
- Events, performances, and exhibitions for adults
- Regular Children’s storytimes, lego clubs and special events for children
- Regular events in our libraries including reading groups, craft groups and digital support sessions
- Volunteering opportunities
- Home Library Service
Reading Well helps people to understand and manage their health and wellbeing using helpful reading. Reading Well books are all recommended by health experts, as well as people with lived experience of the conditions and topics covered and their relatives and carers. Explore stocks titles from five different collections