During this time we’re booking reading room and microfilm reader slots to ensure we comply with social distancing regulations. Sessions are available for morning (10.30am – 12.30pm) and afternoon (1.30pm – 3.30pm) slots three days a week. If both slots are available you’re welcome to add both to your booking in order to stay all day, but be aware that we close for an hour at lunch to sanitise the area.
Closed for appointments from Monday December 21 2020 and re-opens on Monday January 4 2021.
When you submit a request we’ll both receive an email. We’ll contact you to discuss your request before confirming the booking.
Please see our catalogue and include the reference numbers of the items you will require. Archives researchers are limited to six archives items per half-day booking, and no further items will be available on the day. This is to allow for strict quarantining of the documents between researchers.
Please be aware that as part of making your booking, you are agreeing to:
- Delay your visit if you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms
- Follow the government guidance on travelling, especially if using public transport
- Observe the safety measures that we have put in place
- Practice social distancing while on site and in our building
- Wear a face covering during your visit, unless you have a legitimate reason not to do so
- Wash your hands before and after visiting our reading rooms, and regularly throughout your visit
- Be patient and polite with our staff while you visit
- Notify us in advance, where possible, if you are delayed or unable to visit
- Accept that our services on site are currently limited
- Acknowledge that we may ask non-compliant visitors to leave
- Accept that Explore York has taken every reasonable step to create a COVID-19 secure building, and that we rely on the co-operation of visitors to follow the measures we have put in place to protect everyone’s safety.
The personal information you submit will only be used to administer your booking. It will not be used for any other purpose such as marketing, and it will be deleted one month after your appointment.
Essential building work at York Explore Library
Work will begin on the 21st September to replace the slate roof of York Explore. This work is essential to maintain the fabric of the building and is scheduled to last approximately 10 weeks. During this time we anticipate some disruption, including noise, particularly in the Archives and Local History area on the first floor. We thank you for your patience during the scheduled work.