Your Future Libraries – our Capital Development Programme
Explore has an exciting future ahead. We will work with you – our library and archive customers, local residents, partners, and communities – to transform the library service from the one you see today.
You know that Explore spaces in your local area are safe, welcoming and accessible. We know from listening to you that you would like more services available locally.
• You need a place to sit and enjoy a cup of tea alone or with friends.
• You want the latest books and information.
• You want to use a PC for free with people around to help if you need them.
• You want to be able to be creative with other people in your community.
• You want to get involved with Explore as a volunteer or joining a Friends groups.
We want to work with you to create your libraries shaped by your needs. Our successful, new co-located libraries in Tang Hall and in New Earswick will be the pattern for renewing our libraries in the communities of York.
We have been working with City of York Council and have already secured funding for transformations at Acomb, Clifton and Haxby & Wigginton.
• £4m will be invested to transform the Explore Centres in Acomb and Clifton.
• £800K to invest in a permanent home for Haxby and Wigginton library after the previous library was forced to close in 2016 due to a serious building defect.
Over the next few years, we will look at ways to build on our success by developing our other libraries, so that every community in York can have library shaped by its individual needs.
The future for the library and archive service across York is an exciting one and we look forward to sharing it with you.