Keep visiting this page, as we will be updating it regularly
You can view and book our Winter programme of online events for adults and children here
Events and Activities
- Amnesty International York Group is organizing a creative writing competition around the theme of Locked. The deadline is 31 March 2021. Go to their website for further details, do wait as the page is slow to load.
- York Mind has launched its Mental Health and Well-being Activities Programme 2020-21 with a range of virtual and in person activities.
- York’s Festival of Ideas went digital this year and recordings of some of the events are still available.
- York artist Mim Robson has created #CreativeDiaryClub on Facebook where people can share what they are creating, large and small, successes and failures.
- Join Chris Bartram at the virtual NCEM for feel-good Cuppa and a Chorus sessions every Monday.
- We have two online reading groups you can join,
- Watch Ilkley Literature Festival’s digital events on demand until 30 November
- Collective Acts from York Theatre Royal including a Lockdown Legends Challenge
- Our downloadable colouring pack is for young and old alike. Using images of stained glass and original drawings from the archives of J W Knowles & Sons, there is something for all abilities.
- My VLF has ongoing author events, including York Literature Festival, and a book club.
- Virtual book events and reviews from the Bookseller’s BookGig
- The Lockdow LitFest started on 6 April and is ongoing
- How to Academy ongoing events, podcasts and videos
- Tiny Revolutions of Connection are activities to do at any time from Fun Palaces
- The East Riding Festival of Words poetry competition is now open for entries. This year’s theme is ‘My companion, my best friend’ and the deadline is 28 November.
Free e-books or online reading
- From Explore e-books and emagazines & newspapers
- A short history of Literary York
- Classics and books published before 1924 Project Gutenberg
- From Explore e-audiobooks
- BBC Sounds – Click on the latest episodes to find the whole series BBC Sounds audiobooks
- Audiobooks from LibriVox
- Thrilling tales – Seattle Public Library’s Storytime for Grownups.
- Women’s Prize for Fiction
- Penguin podcasts
- Damian Barr’s Literary Salon
- British Library podcasts
- The Spectator book club
- Google Arts and Culture – lose yourself for hours, also available as an app
- The Guardian links to 10 of the world’s best museum and gallery tours
- The Guardian links to 10 virtual tours of the world’s most famous landmarks
- Royal Albert Home – artists present exclusive sessions from their homes to yours
- The Shows Must Go On – full length live musicals every Friday at 7pm, available for 24 hours only.
- Ticketmaster’s guide to finding the best live-streamed gigs
Theatre and Dance
- National Theatre Home – full length live plays every Thursday at 7pm, available for one week.
- Sadler’s Wells Facebook Premieres – a full-length dance every Friday at 7.30pm , available for one week
- Northern Ballet – pay as you feel digital season